The largest economy in the world aims to digitize the communications between taxpayers and its revenue authority in order to meet compliance and non-compliance requirements for tax collection. The primary goal of the revenue authority is to collect taxes and duties as mandated by the law; however, instances of non-compliance are inevitable. To minimize this, the tax administration must have a way to store and easily access all correspondences and communications for a longer period to ensure compliance with the country’s tax system.
Challenges and Opportunities
- The tax office recognizes the need for a reliable document management solution that can effectively support case management to streamline the process of receiving, scanning, and categorizing postal letters into a digital document management system.
- To meet this need, the office is developing a business process design and project methodologies that can handle the flow of postal letters into the digital system for better management and compliance with the tax system.
- The newly implemented Documentum XCP application has successfully reduced the volume of call center queries, enhanced customer experience, and met customer response targets.
- It is a fully managed digital correspondence lifecycle platform for the tax office and its taxpayers to communicate and securely store all correspondence-related information alongside the individual’s tax records.
- The custom-built Documentum XCP application provides a centralized digital inbox for receiving paper and other mail.
- Automatically routing scanned mail items to the correct person or team within the caseworker team. The solution eliminates the security risks associated with manual handling of postal letters by case workers, allows for easy forwarding to colleagues and execution of workflows, and enables management of work queues using Documentum security and group permissions at multiple levels.
- The modern XCP user interface allows for better tracking, visibility, and control of items, and the integration with AI technology uses machine learning and NLP to identify cases with missing information.
- Automatically assigning them to technical teams for quick resolution. This results in faster response times for taxpayers and improved efficiency in the overall process.
- The Digital Mailroom system eliminates internal mail costs for approximately 32 million tax-related queries per year and speeds up the process which previously could take up to three weeks.
- Centralized digital storage and scanning of incoming and outgoing posts enables correspondence workers, helpline advisers, and tax experts to view customer interactions accurately, allowing them to respond quickly with up-to-date, concise information.
- Response letters are printed centrally, contributing to efficiency and energy savings. Furthermore, the end-to-end process is more efficient, resulting in customers receiving replies 2-3 days quicker than before.